Generic EN-EL15 Batteries (D7000 Battery)

Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Generic EN-EL15 Batteries (D7000 Battery)
Jan 13, 2012

I have the D3000 & D5000, and all is fine--however, I'm pondering at some point maybe updating to the newer generation models during tax refund season. Both the D5100 and D7000 are possibilities (maybe also update the D3000 to the D3100 for "everyday" usage.)

Thing is, in my searching around, I can't seem to find a generic EN-EL15 battery to save my life. (I am aware that the newer batteries have non-exposed contacts, which maybe is a design characteristic that's more difficult to emulate?) I have noticed that generics of the EN-EL14 for the D5100 or D3100 seem easier to find.

I know, I know--if you're dropping $1000 on a camera, what's $60 for a battery, right? Well me, I like the idea of being able to get my own batteries for my own devices, and without having to pay a huge amount for it. I have a spare battery (and even a separate cradle charger for it) for my Android phone (LG Optimus V) paid not even $10 for both, they work fine. My MP3 player has 2 spare batteries (SanDisk Sansa e280, one of the last "slim" MP3 players that nonetheless has user-replaceable batteries) and I probably paid $7 for each of them.

As for cameras--my D3000 and D5000 probably have 8 EN-EL9 batteries between them, many of them generic, many of which the prior owners of the camera just threw in as spares like it was no big deal. Heck, last time I sold an SLR, I gave 3 of them away because I had like a dozen of the days cluttering up my drawer.

Simply enough--I don't like being at the whims of $60 batteries for my devices, maybe that's silly of me (especially at the D7000 level) but then, I'm pretty sure that if people had to, say, spend $1000 for batteries on their car rather than being able to get them for $40 at ABC Auto etc, they'd be upset--and that's for a car which is MUCH more expensive than a camera.

Tips?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon D3000 Nikon D3100 Nikon D5000 Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow