Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
JVC GYHMQ10 4K, $5k Videocam
Jan 13, 2012

JVC makes video products, not DLSRs or P&S, so I don't fault Dpreview for ignoring that firm's niche at the CES. However, it's interesting to see JVC's introduction of a 4k videocam that is the first to qualify as affordable to a prosumer or small pro. It's certainly a bargain relative to the devices can cost that much or more just to rent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839193-REG/JVC_GY_HMQ10U_GY_HMQ10_4K_Compact_Handheld.html

Canon has not gone any further than a "concept" 4k videocam, or infer that a 2012 DSLR might include advanced video features. That might not turn out to be any less expensive than the JVC. Perhaps 4k video will appear on more cameras in 2013 or later, but continue to be constrained by high heat generation, the scarcity of 4k displays, and irritation of traditional DSLR users if video intrudes any more on their cameras. However, firms with a dedicated video product line, or the video divsions of other companies, will almost inevitably try to introduce consumer 4k video wares.

I'll agree with anyone that to increase resolution from 1920x1080 to 4k confers no advantage to most video subjects, particularly not home video, except possibly under very good light and a very steady camera. Even then, most won't find it worth the trouble or cost.

Many people will never want, or need, to upgrade from HD to 4k monitors, given that most content would never benefit from the difference. This would not keep 4k video capture from from being useful, though.

Anyone who shoots action or outdoor scenes will appreciate that 4k might be a great tool, since it would allow one to crop to 1920x1080, without IQ loss on a "Full HD" screen, which you cannot do at all with existing HD video. This would be a boon to people who, working with one camera, need to shoot wide at sports action or wildlife, due to erratic motion, but would like to crop and zoom to the action smoothly when editing. This has always been available for still photographers, but not at all for videographers, unless you crop from HD to SD.

I'll wager that JVC and others roll out $1.5k 4k videocams of some sort in the next 12 months. Can anyone attest whether it's possible to edit such stuff with an i7 machine and an under $2k version of Vegas, CS, FCPX, or Avid? How good are they for cropping key-framing 4k video for export to files at 1920x1080 resolution?

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow