Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?
Re: AA batteries no longer the trend?
In reply to myst-vearn, Jan 12, 2012

myst-vearn wrote:

The reason I don't use a proper dSLR, is because:
a) my workplace has good dSLR's but...

b). I hate carrying a huge beg full of lenses. Already I see my smartphone replacing a lot of my candid photo takes. Hopefully someone figures out why we are not getting the Altek Leo phone soon.

I think some light Pentax SLR cameras use (or at least used) AA batteries.

You can get very lightweight and small pancake lenses (21mm, 40 mm, 77 mm) for them or the other alternative may be a superzoom, although there is always some compromise in image quality. Alternatively the double zoom packages of most manufactures(18-55mm, 55-200mm orr 55-250 mm Pentax even 55-300mm) are lightweight and cover most situations.

I have the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 as a short zoom, which with its f2.8 replaces a fast prime and with its 1:3 magnification even my macro for many cases. UNfortunately it is not longer produces. Couple it with a 55-250mm IS (Canon) or 55-300 mm (Pentax) and you will have most situations covered (Of course, at some time, you may want an ultrawide)

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow