Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jwvgoethe
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
tips on speeding up LR3?
Jan 12, 2012

I have a 2011 27" iMac quad core i5 with 12 GB of ram and very little installed and actively running.

LR3 is very fast when I am working with new images(18 MP RAW), but it really starts to drag after I make a lot of changes to an image, especially with many local adjustments. It takes a long time to redraw the picture in the develop module or to add new brush strokes, etc. Even doing a simple temperature adjustment takes quite a long time(several seconds) whereas on a fresh image it is instantaneous.

Creating virtual copies does not help it. Optimizing the catalogue does not seem to help either. The only thing I have found that works is to export the image as a tiff and adding it again to the catalogue but then you lose the history.

The primary reason that I switched from Aperture to LR recently was because I was unhappy with Aperture's speed. Now it seems that LR is only fast if you are working on fresh images.

Has anyone else seen this problem or dealt with it successfully?

edit: I've increased the camera raw cache to 30GB, but this doesn't seem to make the develop module any faster with existing images.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow