Best image size for Internet publishing.

Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
l_d_allan
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?
But what if peple want to make prints from your files? 800x600 may be insufficient.
In reply to Toermalijn, Jan 12, 2012

To me, dpi can be ambiguous so I think in terms of pixel dimensions.

800x600 is probably fine for people who will view your images on the web, or to transmit as email attachments. But it can happen that someone would want a print. To get a 4x6" from 800x600, you end up with about 150 dpi, which is marginal.

Based on my experience with several photo sharing websites, it works fine to upload a relatively high resolution sRGB jpeg. The website prepares small thumb-nails and reduced resolution equivalents, so it isn't necessary for you to downsize your original from 3000x2000 to 800x533.

Regarding which files to keep: here is my practice for a scenario where I take 1000 RAW/DNG pictures at some event:

• First pass of the images to sort out the rejects: 10% to 30% will typically be throw-aways due to problems with focus, motion-blur, grossly poor exposure, etc., and are discarded. Suppose that leaves 800 RAW/dng files of the original 1000 captures.

• Second pass of evaluating the files: most of those will be pretty ordinary, and perhaps 10% get one star. 720 of the remaining 800 are left with zero of five stars.

• This leaves 80 images that receive one star.

• Then yet another pass to identify those I feel are two stars that warrant the time and effort to actually process in Adobe Camera Raw. Typically, there would be much less than half of the remaining 80 that got one star. For this example, suppose there are 10 images that get two stars. These are opened in ACR for p.p.

• Most of my post processing can be done in ACR without using Photoshop. Therefore, the "master" can remain as a .dng with no .tif or .jpg stored on my local hard drive.

• For me, 1% or fewer images involve Photoshop due to layers, masking, or other reason. If the p.p. is pretty involved, I'll keep the layered .tif in case I return for subsequent p.p. to the manipulated image (which is rare ... YMMV).

• I use ACR 6.x to render full resolution .jpg's with the sRGB working space, compression-10-of-12, and screen-sharpening. These two-star .jpg files are uploaded to the photo-sharing website and then the sRGB .jpg's are deleted.

• So out of the original 1000 raw/dng files, I end up with:

• keeping only 80 .dng's of the one and two star rated images

• maybe a single layered .tif (which can be 100+ megabytes)

• delete the 720 zero-star .dng original files after rendering them as full resolution .jpg's (compression 10-of-12, Adobe-98 working space, no sharpening). In the unlikely case that I later want to use one of these images for some reason, the .jpg will have to be good enough.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow