D7000 buffer size - how many jpeg's b4 full?

Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rockwallaby
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
D7000 buffer size - how many jpeg's b4 full?
Jan 12, 2012

A question for D7000 owners who shoot sports. Or others who want to do a quick, real life test for me.

How many consecutive, 12 bit, full resolution (jpeg fine, large), shots can you get using continuous high (CH) shutter mode before the buffer is filled. No ADL, noise reduction, distortion correction or anything else to slow the shooting rate.

I am not after the frame rate per second but how many continuous shots you get before the shutter slows down.

I currently use a D300s for motorsport photography and have an interest in the D7000. I would be using 70-200 f2.8 VRII and 300 f2.8 VR lenses with it. I am not unhappy with the D300s's performance, but would like a few more pixels in the DX format and also higher ISO capabilities.

Also any opinions on how long it takes for the buffer to clear would be appreciated too. With the first few laps of a motor race things get hectic and to capture "the" shot means that you have to shoot lots. Of course a memory card with high write speed is important.

I have done some searches on this and found most of the info is from raw shooters where the larger file size soon consumes the buffer capacity. I could not find much reliable info for jpeg shooters.

I look forward to any information that you may be able to help with to assist in my decision to get a D7000 now or wait until the elusive and more expensive D400 is released and fully apraised.

Cheers,

Nikon D300S Nikon D40 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow