Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Revision
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
At the risk of being excommunicated in this era of off camera flash orthodoxy,
Jan 12, 2012

I confess that sometimes I am tempted to stick an sb800 on my camera and fire away at parties, graduations etc.

I hate the way the flash feels sitting on top of the camera and I also dislike the weight distribution of the rig when the flash is on my Stroboframe VH 2000 or Press T.

Since i am going to bounce the flash off walls ceiling and anything else white that I can get hold of anyways and avoid direct flash unless there is nothing else that I can do, Do you think it is reasonable to use a side mounted flash (I have a bunch of old Philips potato masher flashes and I am thinking of getting a $20.00 old Vivitar flash grip and stick an SB800 on top) that feels so much more easy to hold?

I realize that the shadows may fall to the side of subjects rather than behind them and be visible yada yada yada but I have no intention of lining people up against a wall firing squad style, I always bounce if at all possible and photographers have used a side mounted flash for many decades...
Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Renato

'The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks.' Henri Cartier Bresson, in the 1930's

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow