The budget Nikon wedding photography thread

Started Nov 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
munchmeister
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographer or VIP guest?
In reply to R Dunlop, Jan 12, 2012

R Dunlop wrote:

Not sure how this scenario is going to work out, father of the bride needs to be in many of the important scenes. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not sure how it's gonna work either :-/ But we're all aware of the limitations when Dad is the photographer. But, FWIW, I did work as a photographer and assist with a few weddings years (and years and years) ago and, as most of us here are, I am an eternal student of photography, gazing longingly at the pros work and trying to decipher how they do what they do. That is why I ask about lenses. I know it is not about the equipment but I know what an 85 f/1.4 can do, and also how difficult it would be to make such a lens, with such narrow DOF, work, especially under pressure. I use the 16-85 a lot because it is just such a forgiving lens. The 80-200 f/2.8 does amazing things at 2.8 in my view. Great in a crowd, for grabbing candids of folks and they hardly realize you are shooting them, and the bokeh is really nice. I add an SB 600 or SB 700 with a Gary Fong lightsphere and I get some great shots from that lens. The 35 f/1.8 will be great when the light gets low and I will crank up the ISO accordingly to get the shots with this lens. The D90 is not a D3 (or now, D4!!) but the higher ISO shots are, IMHO, much improved over earlier cameras.

For myself, I have enjoyed all the posts here... very helpful to me.

munchmeister's gear list:munchmeister's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow