Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brucet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339
Like?
AfterShot Pro v Bibble 5
Jan 12, 2012

I've been a long time user of PSP, (now x4), and Bibble. (Now Bibble 5). So with the advent of AfterShop Pro I jumped on board and downloaded it.

I've had some time now to compare Bibble 5 to AfterShot Pro and thought some may be interested in my initial observations.

I started with NEF RAW files out of a D7000. I opened both Bibble 5 and AfterShot Pro and set both to their default settings. Saved both files as 16 bit tifs. I then opened both files up in PSPx4. Followed my usual work flow for both files using the exact same settings.

So what happened?

ASP files were much more saturated. I needed to set Hue/Saturation to -25 in PSPx4 to get close to Bibble 5 output. Mostly in the greens and yellows.

ASP produced much darker shadows. (Using Fill Light/Clarity in PSPx4 fixed the shadows).

ASP seems to produce better fine detail.

ASP produced a better colours sky but at 200%, yeah who uses 200%, the sky was very course when compared to Bibble 5 at the same magnification.

Bibble 5 produced a more 'natural' looking photo. Not as vivid.

ASP was much quicker to load 100 NEFs.

When over 'cooking' the photos. ie too much sharpening etc the ASP file fell to pieces much quicker than the Bibble 5 files.

Conclusion.

Bibble 5 gave a much better result initially. However with some tweeking the end result out of ASP was more to my liking. It just took longer to get there. For anything under A3 prints I think ASP will be fine.
ASP is faster but needed extra time in PSPx4 to get a better result.

Remember I did all the tweeking in PSPx4. It may well be a different result using the feature in both Bibble 5 and ASP to tune the files.

I think I'll stay with ASP. But I will now need a new preset that kills off some of the initial saturation issues.

Question?
Why would Corel make 'changes', both good and bad, to Bibble 5?

I know this may not be a 'technically' correct method of comparing both programs but as an end user I think it gives a good basic comparison. I'm sure there are others out there that will disagree with my conclussions. But that's ok.

Regards

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow