Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm f4

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,001Gear list
Like?
Thanks for your thoughts, Steven...
In reply to Steven-T, Jan 12, 2012

... I'm guessing there won't be any Nex 7 problems with the MATE, too. At first I did not understand "MATE" and "WATE". But I search the web and found their meanings, and several reviews.

If I buy Popflash's unit, I would be able to try it and send it back if it does have corner problems. (Cornerfix can fix vignetting, but not the softness that comes with it.)

I can save well over $1K by buying one from a private party now, but i would not be able to return it if it does have problems. Both are the 2nd version. Decisions, decisions,....

If I like the Leica R 35-70mm that comes tomorrow enough, I will skip the MATE. But I suspect I'll want the compactness of the MATE.

BTW, I bought a 90mm f2.5 Summarit today on ebay, which will be here Friday. Exciting!

Steven-T wrote:
Paul,

I use a C3 (no NEX-7), and experience no problem with the Leica M lenses I have, including the two Tri-Elmars.

First, I won't worry about the resolving power of the MATE on NEX-7. Secondly, there were reports from early reviewers that NEX-7 has (significant) color shift/magenta cast with "symmetric design" Rangefinder lenses (which can be fixed by Cornerfix software. Yuck, for me.) These symmetric design lenses include the ZM Biogons, many CV lenses, a few compact Leicas (28/2.8, 18/3.8, 24/3.8, 21/3.4).

There were review of WATE on NEX-7, with no issue. I haven't seen any review of the MATE on NEX-7. I don't have a NEX-7, so I can't definitively drawing any conclusion. But if I intend to buy a NEX-7 in the future, I feel no concern in using any of the Leica M lenses I have (Tri-Emar's, Lux's, and Cron's).

Best,
-Steven

Paul Richman wrote:

No ray angle issues, with corner color cast and loss of sharpness, as occurs with some wide angle M lenses?
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow