X Pro 1 Should Leica be taking lessons from Kodak?

Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
X Pro 1 Should Leica be taking lessons from Kodak?
Jan 12, 2012

Some random thoughts

I am 61 years old, had a primitive dark room since I was 12. Used to bring my colour film to the Kodak plant on Eglinton Avenue in Toronto when it was producing most of the film in the world. Now the factory is torn down and Kodak is in bankrupt selling patents to satisfy creditors. It seemed to happen overnight.

Overtaken by digital, refused to change Kodak went the way of the dinosaurs.

I moved to digital when it arrived. Paid about $5,000 for what seems like now a cheap little digital camera not that many years ago. I do not want to get into a discussion of the price of this camera. I can afford it. I can afford a BMW also but use a 10 year old Impala instead because it suits me. There are already a ton of threads about the price and there will be more. I don't care.

I do not shoot for a living. I am a professional and earn enough to enable my passion for photography. Been buying new cameras and equipment for many years. I could afford a Leica but....it seems stuck in past glory and refuses to acknowledge that. Yes I have tried the Leica and loved the images. but the camera does not seem "right" for me. Old fashioned but not in a good way like the X 100. In low light, especially in shadows I do not think the images are that great.

Love the Canon 5D II. Have invested several thousand in good glass for it but except for video and macro have basically stopped using it since April 1 last year when I took delivery of the X-100 yet I shoot almost every day without fail.

Now I have read and looked at everything I can about this new one and I am really excited. Seems like Fuji has answered all my wish list with the X 100 and the random sensor display that eliminated the need for a low pass filter is very exciting news to me.

The clarity of the X 100 images prompted earlier reviewers to speculate that Fuji had done something to eliminate the low pass to eliminate moire. Fuji took the hint and confirms it happened. The three prime lenses, beefed up processer, modifications to controls spelled out on the Fuji guys video sold me. I have my deposit ready and am going down to my trusted dealer to put my name on the X 1 Pro waiting list in the morning.

In my opinion the Leica M9 is poor in low light I am worried this brand may not be taking in the lessons of Kodak. Fuji seems to be innovative. Their glass is really good and now with a M mount adapter on the way......Leica are you looking in the rear view mirror? Perhaps there is nothing to see in the rear view mirror because Fuji is out in front.

Just thinking out loud.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow