Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?
Honest Opinions Please....Canon 5D Mark II
Jan 12, 2012

I need your HONEST, NON-BIASED opinions please.

First of all, I have never owned a Canon DSLR but have used a few in the passed (T2i, 60D, 7D).....I have only owned Nikon DSLR's (D60, D5000, D90, D7000).

To make the story short....I am planning on giving my Nikon D7000 (which I like A LOT) to my wife and upgrading to a Full-Frame DSLR. I have been a DSLR shooter for years, not a pro, but a serious hobbyist and I think it is "that" time to get the real, professional, nice toy.

There are only TWO in my price range. The Nikon D700 and Canon 5D Mark II.

The Nikon D700 is in consideration by default because it's a Nikon, but...I am OPEN to owning a Canon for the first time in my life.

Anyways....my main thing is PHOTOS. I could care less about video. When I need a video I just take my iPhone out. I never like to use flash, just crank up the ISO when it's needed, which is why the Canon 5D Mark II and the Nikon D700 are in my top 2, due to their full-frame sensors which are great in low light. Also, I mainly shoot JPEG's, hardly ever RAW (I know, I knowwww).

The D700 body is going now for about $2500, and I am eyeing a 5D Mark II with the 24-105mm F4 L lens on Amazon for $2800. I will admit, what really bugs me about the Canon 5D Mark II is that it DOENS'T have a pop-up flash. I know I said I never like to use flash, but there times that you have no choice but to use it when situations are just way too dark. Also, I have read reports from people on the internet about the 5D Mark II producing soft focus/not completely sharp Jpeg's...is this accurate?

As far as low light photography, image quality and ISO....how does the Canon 5D Mark II perform for you guys and why do you think the 5D Mark II might be the best choice for me?

Thanks in advance.

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D5000 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WaitNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow