Best Monitor For Photo Editing 2012?

Started Jan 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,911Gear list
Like?
Re: OLED
In reply to bronxbombers, Jan 11, 2012

bronxbombers wrote:

oh wow the LG was only using OLED for the backlight?? How can they even call that an OLED set then? That is NOT an OLED set at all. It's just a regular LCD only it uses OLED instead of RGB LED or W LED or CCFL for the backlight. An OLED backlighting LCD is 100% different from an OLED set! The two could not be more different.

they are different, but the LG approach is quite clever IMHO. What they do is similar to the RGBLED backlights from professional photo monitors from a few years ago, only FAR better in almost every way. They can make a perfect backlight with this (very even, big colorspace compared to current WLED, very low power, very thin display) and it probably has less aging problems (longer lifetime) than full OLED.

The first reports suggest that the LG display is very impressive, despite using OLED backlight and not full OLED.

but if samsung has jumped the real deal from 14" to 55" then THAT is impressive

it is clear that the technology is ready for larger scale production. Two others (Apple and one of the Japanese display companes) are also bringing OLED TV's end of this year. 55 inch (big TV screens) is probably where most of the money is at the moment, but I'm sure in a few years there will be other sizes, and more affordable. No one has set a final retail price yet, but several manufacturers competing for this new market should help to drive price down and quality up.

The new 4K (8.3 Mpixel) 20"display from Panasonic also looks impressive; talk about pixel peeping! Many users will need glasses to really see all those pixels. And just 3.5 mm thick, it is almost getting in print territory

yeah wow i'd love a 24" OLED 4k monitor! That would really do images justice and get you nearly as sharp as many prints with a wider gamut and way higher CR ratio. I bet 10 bits becomes more important on OLED since they have bright whites with virtually true pitch black blacks, huge DR. And you could view e-published books and mags on that probably nearly as crisply as printed books and maybe even more clearly than most printed mags.

yes, in a few years we could have tablets just 5mm thick or so, with better resolution and color than prints and books. This is great for photographers, e.g. for photobooks. I make some money from book sales, but you lose so much of the picture quality when the image is printed, compared to the original (or you have to use extremely expensive printing, which is not an option for small publications). Sometimes all the atmosphere of the picture is lost in print; I'm looking forward to being able to use this technology in a few years to present my pictures/stories

Before that, we will probably see those 250 dpi OLEDs in LCD's and viewfinders on our cameras.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OLEDNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow