D300/s users waiting for D400 or D800 specs, or both?

Started Jan 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Karld70
Senior MemberPosts: 2,468
Like?
D300/s users waiting for D400 or D800 specs, or both?
Jan 11, 2012

D300/s users,

Who is waiting for the D800, who is waiting for the D400, who is undecided, it will be based on the specifications of each camera? What are you looking for in the upgrade, what improvement?

New camera announcements and rumors are always a fun time. I have not upgraded my body in a long time, I got the D300 when it first came out.

For me, this is the first time that I do not need any increase in MP on a crop body. Upgrades before, that was always one of the "upgrades" I was looking for. most of my glass is FF, so I will be fine lens wise for a little while, I will be short on the wide end, the widest I have is the Nikon 28-70 2.8, so that is 18/19 equivalent on DX. I have a 300 F4 for the long end. But my 2.8 zoom stops at 200, the 300 is fixed. For moving sports I will feel that loss. I have a whole lens pile for everything in between, I generally just keep a lens, only ones I really got rid of over the years were DX. You never know when a lens you stopped using might become useful again. My old 105 F2,5 manual lens sat on the shelf till I got the D300 and I was able to use it with metering, so you never know.

So for me, when I first went digital I hated it, non of my lens kit worked how I use to use them as far as what lens was good for what I use to shoot. Over the years I have adjusted to it. I want to get back to FF, but face the same transition pain, I have become accustomed to the .15 crop.

I will need to wait for the D800 and the D400 to be announced before I know what camera is the better choice for me. I personally think the crop sensor camera advantage is fading, but until the replacement specifications are announced, it's had to tell. Nikon might really come up with an amazing D400.

Nikon D300 Nikon D40 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow