Started Jan 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mackitten
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
iMacs, backups and ports
Jan 11, 2012

I am a long time Mac user and a new Lightroom (3) user.

A year ago and more, every few weeks/months I would backup some files to a 250 GB usb external hard drive, and some to CDs. I wouldn't keep this HD plugged in only took out as needed.

Last year when got a iMac, I purchased a 1TB external drive and now I have that conencted 24/7 and use TimeMachine for backups. I backup at least once a week or everytime I download/import photos or make other changes.

I am looking at my process and thinking of the future. Firstly I do not like the external harddrive I have much, its fine and functioning just it stands up and gets knocked over by the cats too often so I am lookling into ones that lay flat by design.

Also would like ones that can be stacked so one can be timemachine and one can just be backups of photos and videos.

I'm waiting to see if prices for drives go down a bit when the "shortage" is over. Recommendations that you are happy with? Quiet, reliable stackable drives?

My other issue is where am I plugging in all these devices????

The Imac has I think 1/2 firewire and 3/4 usb ports - i already have a wacom tablet in one, i need one for updating idevices, just wondering if people have success with hubs? or what else you might do?
--
warning: I enjoy photographing my cats

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow