Mirrorless Focusing Ability Field Tests....

Started Jan 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186Gear list
Like?
Mirrorless Focusing Ability Field Tests....
Jan 11, 2012

Thom Hogan has an interesting field test of mirrorless cameras and focus on birds in flight, among other things....

"In particular, I was interested in the difference between performance of the Panasonic G3, the latest Olympus Pens (with claimed "world's fastest AF"), and the Nikon V1. Simple answer: it wasn't even a contest, as the V1 won hands down every time. Indeed, for many bird passes it was the only camera that got a critically sharp bird (and often more than one or two frames of them). More often than not the Panasonic got no sharp birds in close in the passes by the swiftest birds. When it did manage a sharp bird it was usually much further away from me and it was "one and done." The Olympus E-PL3 and E-P3 performed slightly better, but not by a lot. (Lenses in use: mostly Nikon 30-110mm, Panasonic 45-175mm X.) "

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/galapagos-focus-testing.html

I for one, agree that the Panny focusing on birds, or planes, in flight, sucks...not that I do it much, but when I do, it would be nice if it worked. I am using a GH1, and keep wondering if another MFT body might do it....seems not....guess I will wait for a bit, since I have four lenses already...and the GH1 does fine, otherwise.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow