"normal focal length" primes really that important?

Started Jan 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fujifilm Finepix F30
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
50mm - VERY IMPORTANT - Re: "normal focal length" primes really that important?
In reply to kev777zero, Jan 11, 2012

Normal perspective is very important IF your favorite subject is people/social events photography. It is not too wide and not too long; just perfect if you shoot people in the context of the events surrounding them, without people looking too small in the composition you can't recognize them, and at the same time, without a single face looking too close and dominating the scene that you don't have a clue what's going on. It is the focal length that will give the viewer of the photo a sense of 'closeness', 'family' and 'intimacy', rather than an impression of being an 'outsider' or a 'detached' observer (wideangle) or even a 'spy' or a 'papparazi' (telephoto).

Those with interests other than people however, (nature, wildlife, landscapes, architecture, etc.) will not find much use or interest in the normal focal length.

Don

kev777zero wrote:

I think it's vital for any system, but when I look at my photos these days, I realize that almost none of my best/favorite pictures were taken at the 35-50mm equivalent focal lengths, which people claim where "the best photos in the world" belong.

perhaps I'm just not that good of a photo enthusiast yet, but I'm always sticking to either the UWA focal lengths or the telephoto pics these days. is there something wrong?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow