Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm f4

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,001Gear list
Like?
What about polarizers?
In reply to Paul Richman, Jan 11, 2012

This is my latest concern with the Tri Elmars and the R Leicas as well.

I have always used polarizers, when directionality warrants. As you know, they can saturate colors, remove glare and reflections, and of course darken a blue sky. The effect can be dramatic.

But filters seem to be a bit of a problem with the Leica lenses I'm considering, right?

How hard is it to use a polarizer with the Tri-Elmars? How easy is it to get the filter holders, or step-up rings that are needed? Can I then use standard circular polarizers, or is something special (and hard to get) required? I'm asking this about both the 16-18-21 and the 28-35-50.

Apparently you can't use the hood and filter at the same time on these lenses, right? Dr Rohde mentioned that the lens is rather recessed, so this might be ok....

Then, with the R zooms, the hood is a screw in type, which I guess must be screwed into a polarizer. How easy is this to use? Can you turn the hood to turn and adjust polarization?
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow