Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm f4

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093Gear list
Like?
Thanks, Steven...
In reply to Steven-T, Jan 11, 2012

Steven-T wrote:

I have the MATE (28-35-50) version I, great for travel, and the WATE too. While optically the same, the version II has DOF scales, while version I doesn't. You can't attach a filter directly to the thread. I use a 55-58 step-up ring to use E58 filters. Since the lens elements are retracting a bit, a hood is not mandatory. But you can buy an optional hood.

For the WATE, you can use/focus any focal length between 16 and 21, the MATE can only use/focus at 28, 35 and 50. And obviously version II is more expensive. It was discontinued in 2007, and very difficult to find, particularly II. The other day, I spotted a version II at Popflash.

Thanks! That is EXCELLENT information. Yes, I would want the WATE.

All the best. Let me know if I can of further help. (I use the Tri-Elmars on my C3 a lot.)

I would greatly appreciate your answers to a question I'll raise in a following reply, Steven.

Paul Richman wrote:

I'm thinking about getting this lens for my Nex 7. Can you tell me why this lens was discontinued? I would like to know more about this lens, so please tell me what you know.

A little background. I do mostly landscape, wildlife, and closeup photography. I've been a Nikon shooter for years, lately with the D3x and lots of Zeiss and high-end Nikon glass. But as I approach 70 (soon!), I want a lighter, more compact system. I'm not really a RF shooter, so I don't want an M9. The Sony A77 and Nex 7 suit me well, although there is currently only one good lens for the Nex 7. That's why I'm looking at Leica lenses. They are all so much smaller and lighter than what I'm used to, and I know I'll just love the IQ.

Hence I'm selling most of my Nikon gear and moving to Sony / Zeiss / Leica.

I've now rented a Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm lens, and love what it does on Nex 7. Hence, as soon as some of my Nikon gear sells (or maybe before!), I'm going to order this lens, new.

What can you tell me about earlier versions of this lens? What are "E39" and "E55" all about? What accessories should I consider (hood, filter holder, etc.)?

I would most appreciate any help.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow