ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Solarcoaster
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
ULTIMATE BATTLE: Sony NEX-7 vs Fuji X-1Pro
Jan 10, 2012

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

The Sony NEX-7, at the time of release, was hands down the best camera ever. However now there is a legitimate challenger to that throne with Fuji's new X-1Pro.

Based on the specs I think that for the moment, the Fuji is slightly behind the NEX, making it the #2 camera in the world. My basis for this is that it seems to be overall a little bit less versatile than the NEX. For example, the NEX-7's tri-navi controls, while not really stylish or retro like Fuji's, allow for faster changing of settings and more customization, while Fuji has a shutter speed and exposure compensation dial whose functions are fixed, and aperture is controlled on the lens instead of in the camera. While some might like shooting in this way, though it's fine for landscape and other still shots, it doesn't work nearly as well for action. I understand that for pure action there are better cameras than the NEX-7, but it's certainly a capable action camera and that adds to its versatility. Of course it also has the advantage of 10 FPS vs Fuji's 6 FPS.

Also, Fuji currently has three prime lenses, and while they are fast primes, there is no support for telephoto or zoom lenses like the NEX has, both with native lenses and with the Alpha adapter, which also offers PDAF. Sony also has the great focus peaking feature to make it easier to manual focus with 3rd party lenses. Now I know about Fuji's lens roadmap that looks great and Sony also has a lens roadmap so this could change over time. But right now I'd currently prefer the NEX's selection of lenses.

The NEX-7 also has some other advantages, like much better video, a tilting LCD, DRO/HDR modes, 6-image stacking, and a smaller body. These vary in importance, but for me they tilt the scales in favor of the NEX in addition to the other things I mentioned.

There are some aspects that cannot yet be judged, like IQ, autofocus, viewfinder, and speed of operation/bugginess. But just based on the specs I have to say that while the Fuji is a great camera it is just slightly below the NEX-7. What do you think?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow