Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
walliswizard
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Sell the 50 1.4g, get the 85 1.8g?
Jan 10, 2012

Not sure if I'm seriously thinking about this or not at the moment, but hear me out.

A lot of my photography is portraiture - home studio, outdoor natural-light stuff. I've just bought a Nikon 17-55 2.8, and I also have the 50 1.4g and the 105 VR Micro.

When I DO use the 50 at it's widest, it tends to be in low-light situations when I'm trying for a fast enough shutter with no flash.

And with the 17-55 spanning that 50mm, I'm wondering if the 85 is a sensible swap for it. 85mm falls nicely between the other two lenses after all.

A bit of a question - something I'm not quite clear on technically. The 'physical' size of the aperture of the 85 at 1.8 is larger than the 50 at 1.4. So if I used both of these lenses at the same ISO, would the shutter speed be faster if I was using the 85 at 1.8 compared to the 50 at 1.4? If so, by much?

I have other thoughts in my mind to figure out - the obvious cost difference, the size difference (I do love having that little 50 on the front, which perhaps I'd miss, but I guess I've got to see how much use it gets now I have that other lens). I imagine the build quality of the two lenses won't be much difference - whether there is that much difference in IQ, well I won't know without trying the two out.

Anyway, your thoughts appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow