Call me a Heretic... Fuji?

Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
vbd70
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,761Gear list
Like?
Time will tell - Heresy is such only as long as it is the belief of a minority :)
In reply to DRabbit, Jan 10, 2012

Amy,

the whole concept of heresy & heretics assumes that there is a majority defining a minority as such; never in history a majority has been defined as heretic, or at least not in the long term: once a current of thought becomes majority, it ceases to be heretic. So, time will tell: I am pretty sure that, if the camera will be working properly and if MF/AF is well implemented, the new Fuji will be a success and (relatively to the niche it is directed to) hugely popular. That said, in this forum of course Leica users will always be a majority, so a Fuji user (even with M glass) will be considered heretic; however, will M-body users still be a majority of the total RF-style camera user base? I am not sure, too many unpredictable variables to be able to tell now.

What I can say, personally speaking, is this:

• IF the camera will be working properly;

• IF the lenses will deliver;

• IF AF/MF will be implemented intelligently;

• IF the use of adapted lenses will be implemented intelligently;

THEN

• I will get the complete set of camera & three lenses;

• I'll keep my Noctilux f1 for the wonderful results it provides;

• I'll sell my M9 & other M lenses, except -->

• I'll keep a M film body, just because I love to shoot film, with a 35 lux and the Nocti.

What the Fuji offers that the M9 doesn't? (note: all this is on paper at the moment, but let's talk assuming all will be working as per specs)

• Variable magnification VF;

• better sensor, better control of Moire;

• much better low light performance;

• better WA results, due to the design of the lens mount, distance to sensor plane, etc;

• incredibly easier use of longer lenses (with the EVF option): think a 90 or 135 M adapted, for a 135 or 200 FOV, without having to frame & focus in the minimal patch of the M9's VF;

• possibility of using MF & AF lenses according to different situations;

• much closer minimum focussing distance (let alone easy macro compared to the messy M solution);

• much easier exposure compensation;

• very likely less hassle with card compatibility, cracked sensors, QC, etc. (maybe some sticky blades problems, though :D)

• much cheaper repairs;

• much less hassle with mechanical maintenance, RF alignments, etc;

Note that I am comparing it with the M9; if I still had the M8, that would definitely be a no-brainer (still, assuming that all will work well with the new Fuji).

Now, if you shoot all day with a 15mm or 12mm on the M9, then you'll not have any lens of comparable FL; on the other hand, though, the use of longer lenses will be enormously easier. If you love the M way of focussing and framing, then you'll not find it on the new Fuji, at least not exactly the same; however, from what I saw I think that the using the OVF you'll have empty framing around the actual image to foresee the action, while being able to frame DSLR-like with the EVF...

So - not exactly two alternative cameras, but close enough; a good choice for people to have, so one can decide which features he wants/needs most and buy the camera that offers them, and still be able to use M glass on both.

Just my 2 cents. Best,

Vieri

-- hide signature --

equipment in profile

portfolios:
http://www.madshutter.com

expanded galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/vieripbase

vbd70's gear list:vbd70's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax 645D Nikon D800E Sigma SD1 Merrill Leica M-Monochrom
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AmyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow