ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
akcorcoran
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
Coolpix 9100 vs 8200 vs 8100: Advice?
Jan 10, 2012

Hi there -

I am looking for a compact zoom camera as my "walk around, toss in my bag" to accompany a D5100. I looked at the Canon SX230 HS and was extremely displeased on most fronts and sent it back. I also see some value in having two Nikon cameras to stay in the same system/menu/etc.

This is largely for a travel-around, take snapshots of the kids and family when I'm out and about and don't want to bring the bigger dSLR and lenses. I've had the "two camera system" for a while but with a compact and a bridge and it worked really well for me. That way, I have one when I really want that dSLR type of image, even if that means dragging it, but I have one that is smaller and I won't feel horrible if it gets damaged at Disney or dropped in the pool.

I'm a bit perplexed by the Nikon Coolpix compact zoom family - The Coolpix 9100, which is reviewed by DP review in the Compact Travel Zoom article, is somewhat panned as having some fairly blurry images even at medium zoom, more at more length.

Several have opined that their Coolpix 8100 took better, crisp images. Then I saw there is an 8200 which I'm assuming is a slightly improved/later model?

Looking for your thoughts/recommendations here -

Thanks!

PS I have consider the interchangeable family with the small kit lens but to get the same zoom, I gotta put on the big lens. It may be my later, third camera that's in between the two. I really liked the speed and several features of the V1 system but think I'll wait until the next round there (v2 or whatever comes next).

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow