Considering switch from Canon - Advice sought

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Das Biot
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
Re: Considering switch from Canon - Advice sought
In reply to Peter Sills, Jan 10, 2012

Hello Peter

I shoot with Canon and Sony. I will do my best to help you out with your questions.

Peter Sills wrote:

I currently shoot with a Canon 5D MkIi and just sold my 1Ds MkIV.

Had an opportunity to shoot with the NEX-7 for an extended period and was very impressed. Convinced that the EVF is the way to go in the future and as such considering a switch to Sony once the a99 is available.

Looking for feedback from others who have made the switch as to their experience.

How do the cameras perform?

I shoot with the Canon 5D2, 7D and Sony A55, A77.

The A77 has roughly the same overall performance as the 7D, although with a lot more useful in-camera effects (e.g., panorama, HDR), as well as higher shooting speeding and resolution. The EVF in the A77 is the same as the Nex7, so you can expect the same level of real time help with exposure metering, DOF preview, spirit level, etc.. Another thing I like is the customizability of the camera's buttons.

Lens quality?

The Zeiss and Sony "G" series of lenses are an easy match for Canon's "L" series - some even better (especially my 24-70mm f/2.8). The third party manufacturers produce virtually every one of their lenses in an Alpha mount as well.

Support (software, etc)?

I find Sony's RAW processing software to be capable albeit spartan and somewhat slow - best to use a fast workstation with it. ACR/Photoshop and LightRoom both support Sony cameras. Lens profiles can be had all over the internet.

I've not had any technical issues with my Sony equipment, so I can't help you there. One thing I do appreciate is the fact that firmware updates from Sony often include new functionality.

Hope this helps.

DB

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A99New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow