Call me a Heretic... Fuji?

Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,012
Like?
Re: Another expensive digital camera...
In reply to PJ711, Jan 10, 2012

PJ711 wrote:

To the poster who thinks lack of DOF markings is a "deal-breaker"- respectfully, really? You can't estimate in your mind what effect f/8 or f/5.6 has on apparent sharpness?

The Fuji viewfinder will show you DOF on a bar at the bottom of the image anyways. As you change apertures with your left hand the DOF markings in white will change as you compose. That's how the x100 works.

(I say this respectfully, but the M9 is an anachronism, IMO. It is too slow for professional use. Great for walkabout shots, great files up to a point, but compared to a modern reportage camera for when you need to deliver files to a client, useless. That's probably why I haven't seen one ever in field use*)

Take a look at the DoF markings on any rangefinder lens, be it Leica, Zeiss, or Voigtlander. Then compare them to the prime auto-focus lenses of Nikon or Canon. There is a reason these manual focus lenses impart so much information to the photographer. For example, if my 28mm lens (my favourite and most used) tells me that at a focus distance of 6 feet, everything will be sharp between the distances of 4 feet and 12 feet at f/8, it really is beyond me to remember that at f/5.6 the in-focus plane is 4.5 feet to 10 feet. I know that to be the case in theory, but I'm not familiar enough with the science of optics to memorize that.

As I said before, the ability to pre-set the lens before raising it to my eyes is something the x-Pro cannot do. I realize that one can pre-set a range beforehand in the Fuji, but what happens if the range changes ever so slightly? One then has to raise the camera to the eye, re-focus, and probably miss a shot.

This is something that I need to control in my style of shooting. This is not to say this is something I do in actuality all the time. It is also something most photographers ever need to do. However, for practising spontaneous close-up street photography - itself a very limited niche in photography - the rangefinder simply excels at this.

I'll agree up to a point that other camera systems are better suited at other styles of photography, and that many people who have purchased the rangefinder don't use it to their full advantage. As far as what pros use in the field, if you have a look at the work of photo-journalists employed by Magnum, VII, Vu and Panos, you'll see many of their photographers using rangefinders for their work. For the record though, what camera a photographer uses is of little importance to me. I look beyond the equipment and at their work, their effort, and their results.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12191517@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AmyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow