Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,633
Like?
Why I need (ok want) a D4...1 photo
Jan 10, 2012

I captured this photo of a baby white-cheeked gibbons with its mother at the Brookfield Zoo. The baby is less than two months old!

This was taken with my D700 and 500VR. The baby is only on display until 2:00 pm each day. I arrived at 1:15 pm...knowing that I had 45 minutes to capture the image. Unfortunately, the mother and baby remained hidden behind a branch until 1:50 pm. Then, for a brief moment, I had time to snap two or three images in the clear!

I wish I had time for a few more as I would have tried a few with a greater depth of field to get both the mother and baby in focus. And, I wish I had a D4 for this situation!

For one thing, these were taken indoors in low light. The D700 performs capably at ISO 1600. But, I had to shoot at just 1/50th wide open (f4) to stay at ISO 1600. I believe the D4 will retain more detail at higher ISO settings--allowing me to increase the ISO setting more to attain higher shutter speeds. More importantly, this image is cropped--and the 16MP sensor would have left me with a larger image size. Finally, the D700 has a little trouble acquiring focus in these low light conditions--which I understand is much improved with the D4.

In any event, here's the picture:

Thanks for looking...
Glenn
--
http://gnagel.zenfolio.com/

Nikon D4 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow