Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Richman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,990Gear list
Like?
Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm f4
Jan 9, 2012

I'm thinking about getting this lens for my Nex 7. Can you tell me why this lens was discontinued? I would like to know more about this lens, so please tell me what you know.

A little background. I do mostly landscape, wildlife, and closeup photography. I've been a Nikon shooter for years, lately with the D3x and lots of Zeiss and high-end Nikon glass. But as I approach 70 (soon!), I want a lighter, more compact system. I'm not really a RF shooter, so I don't want an M9. The Sony A77 and Nex 7 suit me well, although there is currently only one good lens for the Nex 7. That's why I'm looking at Leica lenses. They are all so much smaller and lighter than what I'm used to, and I know I'll just love the IQ.

Hence I'm selling most of my Nikon gear and moving to Sony / Zeiss / Leica.

I've now rented a Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm lens, and love what it does on Nex 7. Hence, as soon as some of my Nikon gear sells (or maybe before!), I'm going to order this lens, new.

What can you tell me about earlier versions of this lens? What are "E39" and "E55" all about? What accessories should I consider (hood, filter holder, etc.)?

I would most appreciate any help.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +9 more
Nikon D3X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow