Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pixto
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
F201EXR - the camera I wish Fujifilm made
Jan 9, 2012

I've owned a F200EXR since June 2010. Ever since I bought a Canon S90 in December 2010 I wished that Fujifilm would make an updated pocket-sized EXR camera with a faster lens and 24mm wide angle coverage.

The X10 has a F2.0 lens and a slightly larger sensor, but its a travel-zoom camera not a pocket camera. In terms of size the new X-Pro 1 with 18mm lens is only a little larger than the X10. The X10 will fit in a briefcase and probably a large jacket pocket, but not a shirt pocket.

So here's my proposal - take a F200/S95-size camera body - put in an 8x6mm F200-size updated EXR sensor (a 12mp/6mp or even 10mp/5mp would be fine) - add a compact but fast lens, e.g. a 3x 24mm-72mm f2.5-f4.4 lens (I happened to borrow this lens spec from the Ricoh GX200).

I would gladly give up long telephoto range for a faster wide-to-short-tele lens. An f2.4 or even f2.8 lens wouldn't eat into the X10's market, especially since the tele-end speed of the lens f4.4 is nowhere as fast as the X10's f2.8. Likewise the 8x6 sensor wouldn't take away from the X10's 8.8x6.6 sensor.

The F300/F500/F600/F700 cameras would still be the go-to EXR Travel-Zoom models, while the F201 would be a 3x pocket-zoom with a fast lens and 2nd-best compact EXR sensor.

The TL;DR 'executive-summary' is that all the new Fujifilm F6xx/F7xx travel-zoom models have F3.5 maximum apertures which are almost 2-stops slower than the pocket-size Canon S90/S95 and Ricoh GRD III and GRD IV cameras. Fujifilm should have a pocket-size EXR camera model that prioritizes a fast lens and low light performance over long telephone range.

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm X10 Ricoh Caplio GX200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow