Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ken henke
Contributing MemberPosts: 739
Like?
Oloneo HDRengine - impressive software
Jan 9, 2012

Although, I have been content with using either Photomatrix or Nik's HDR Efex Pro, I have found the program I will be using a lot from now on. I had read good reports about Oloneo's HDRengine, but was reluctant to have to run another program under Windows/Parallels. However, glad I ran a test on a rather difficult image.

With this bright sunshine against the blue sky, it was nearly impossible to get a realistic look without halos. For this Nik image I really had to dial up the strength slider for Halo reduction. When it did was it really bleached out the sky.

This image created by an Photomatrix(Aperture plugin) wasn't all that bad, but definitely has halos. Colors are reasonably close to what I actually witnessed.

To my surprise, HDRengine didn't create halos, as they promise. But more surprising was the clarity and overall sharpness of the image, especially compared to Photomatrix. Additionally, the colors are dead on!

By the way, I did very little tweaking of these for comparison, except for Nik, in which I used halo reduction. I was also disappointed in how harsh the mountains appear with the Nik version.

Again, I must say this was one of my most challenging images. With other images, the difference between these programs are not as great. And, of course, only with Nik does one have the U point technology to tweak portions of an image. But now I do wonder if I should go back and run other images through HDRengine to determine if I would get a boost in color reproduction and sharpness. On a positive note for Nik, when processing a single image, it was the best of the three.

Glad I tried Oloneo and I certainly hope they develop a Mac version and an Aperture plugin.

Anyway, this is just my experience that I thought I would share for others seeking the best solution for their HDR needs.
Ken

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow