Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arnold Cruz
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
Nikon J1 and Volleyball
Jan 9, 2012

My usual gear for shooting volleyball is D7000 + 70-200mm f/2.8. In the venue where the games are held, I've set a custom WB, and settings stored in U1 includes 1/1,250, f/2.8, ISO 3200, AF-C, focus priority, delay is medium.

Yesterday, I brought my AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 and AF-S VR Micro 105mm f/2.8. I slapped the 24-70 onto the J1 via the FT-1 and found out that-

1. The 2.7 "multiplier" is shorter than I expected

2. My lens is damaged, as every photo was blurred. Validating with my D7000 made me sigh.

Slapped the 105 Micro instead and the "effective" focal length is better.

The settings are different from my D7000 as ISO 1600, 1/1000, f/2.8, Auto WB.

While my D7000 is set to Continuous High-speed, I barely use the feature as I'm more of a "sniper" and tries to anticipate the action. I find that my method is too slow for the J1. I need to be a second "ahead" to capture the action I want. In fact, I missed a lot which is natural to me with the D7000.

When I opened the photos in Capture NX2, it looked saturated on my Spyder-calibrated display. So I did a -80 in saturation, +30 in shadow protection, and the results are as shown below.

I did a "focus lock" on the foot of the player closest to the net. I used to focus on the top edge of the net with my D7000, but that won't work with the J1 as I thought the focus area is too big.

Overall, focusing with the FT-1 is a lot slower (I'm guessing a native CX lens won't present such issue) and my timing was off.

I had a great difficulty capturing floor action, which is easy with a D7000.

Arnold Cruz's gear list:Arnold Cruz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow