Help me decide Leica X1 or Fuji X100?

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me decide Leica X1 or Fuji X100?
In reply to Godfrey, Jan 8, 2012

I don't know anything about the X1 or the Fuji X100 as I've never owned them, so can't comment on them. I'd second taking a serious look at the GXR - it's superb in every way as a camera. Love mine, and with longer focal length lenses, I prefer the GXR over the M9 because I find it very easy to focus critically with the GXR and it's focus peaking/magnification functions. I find it almost impossible to focus critically with lenses longer than 60mm on the M9 - it's my eyesight for sure, others may not have the same problem. The IQ is exceptional in the GXR.

I'm not looking to start a debate (and yes, I do own Leicas), just wanted to second Godfrey's suggestion to look at the GXR.

Cheers,
-raaj

Godfrey wrote:

Given the choice of the Leica X1 or Fuji X100 only, I'd take the Leica in a heartbeat. I tried to love the X100, but from the moment I picked it up it's control ergonomics and feel just turned me off.

Both cameras can make superb photographs. The X1 isn't the fastest operating camera in the world and you'll want the optical viewfinder to go with it, but to my hands it is the clear winner.

However, I bought the Ricoh GXR when the choice was up for me and I've been 100% delighted by it. Get it with either of the A12 50 or A12 28 camera units and it is a superb, fixed prime lens camera with quality on par with either the Leica or Fuji. Fit and optical viewfinder and be happy. If you have a yen for a compact zoom camera at some point, buy the S10 or P10 image-stabilized camera unit for the same body and controls to get short or ultra zoom, small sensor cameras. Add an EVF if you want an eye-level viewfinder. And if you have Leica M-bayonet lenses, buy the A12 Camera Mount to get the best performing Leica M-bayonet camera this side of an M8 or M9.

I would still love an X1 as I think it's a beautiful design in every way, but I'm delighted with the GXR and it is a far more versatile camera. The GXR has basically replaced my need for SLRs.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow