Print head "scratching" matte paper (Epson R3000)

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ComputerDork
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
Print head "scratching" matte paper (Epson R3000)
Jan 8, 2012

Until recently I was only making 8.5x11 or smaller gloss prints, but I started messing with Epson Ultra Premium Matte and 13x19.

Usually everything is fine, but I had two of the 13x19 come out with rather deep wide scratches that look like they must have been caused by the print head:

These are deep enough that you can feel them, and I also felt some tiny ink-soaked spitballs on the paper that must have come out of there.

The printer was set to the right paper type, and other prints came out fine. So it shouldn't be a platen gap setting issue or anything like that.

The only thing that I can figure is that I had other prints on the output tray when the scratched prints were printing, or I had the sheet feeder guide set too tight to the edge of the paper (like maybe it caused it to buckle), or the paper hanging over the top of the sheet feeder was touching the wall (I moved the printer away from the wall a bit).

Any ideas? It doesn't seem like anything is damaged, luckily. Obviously though I want to avoid this so I'm wondering what sorts of things might cause it.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow