Started Jan 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
nzav
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
Re: for Ronny Light
In reply to Ronny Light, Jan 8, 2012

Ronny Light wrote:

Thanks, Chas. I'm glad it helped.

The poster who suggested you rent or buy a color temperature meter has good advice but the meters are expensive. I have the Minolta Color Meter IIIF that measures the color temperature of ambient or flash. It is a great tool.

You can hold combinations of gels in front of meter's sensor until you get it right and then gel the lights.

Until you add a color temperature meter to your bag of tricks, the method I described works and only takes a couple of minutes.

I had the Minolta Color Meter II (with flash attachment) and the Color IIIF, both were excellent meters and certainly helped in assessing multiple light sources with different spectral characteristics. I you shoot a lot of digital imagery, you might look into the Sekonic C500R - it has an extra red sensor in addition to the standard blue and green sensors. The two red sensors, one specifically tuned for film, the other tuned for digital sensor response, give this meter a much higher accuracy than was previously possible.

The other feature on the Sekonic that has proven to be a time saver for me is the built-in PocketWizard 32-channel triggering that lets me get my readings from anywhere without having to yell to an assistant to fire the flash units. If your flash (and camera) is equipped with PocketWizards, that is one more reason to look into the C500R. I've even used the C500R (and the L-758DR) as a remote shutter release, but that is a whole other story...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow