Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,281Gear list
Like?
GH2 & NEX 5n DR comparison shots.
Jan 8, 2012

I took these two out with me this afternoon just to see how much difference there really is in terms of dynamic range. The light was really flat which meant I had to do this a little differently than I would have liked. The GH2 had the Panny 14-45mm mounted and the NEX had the 18-55mm on it. The shots were on a lightweight tripod and using the two second timer on both. It's impossible to make all things equal on a test like this, with different lenses for instance. I set the NEX to F8 and the GH2 to F5.6 to equalise dof but both cameras have different base ISO's so you'll have to take the test as it is. The NEX was shot at ISO 100 and the GH2 at ISO 160 so the exposure times are obviously slightly different. This is optimum for both sensors so I think it's a valid comparison. The fov is also slightly different but that doesn't really matter for the purposes of this test. I'll let you make your own conclusions but I was quite surprised myself. The test shots are unprocessed raw files from both cameras. They are not full size because I think you can see enough to know what has happened here and the full sized images are pretty large as you would expect.

I've also added a few other shots taken with the NEX and kit lens to give you an idea of what it's like.

GH2, underexposed by two stops and then pushed back up by 3 stops in LR

NEX 5N, underexposed by two stops and then pushed back up by 3 stops in LR

GH2, overexposed by two stops and then pulled back by 3 stops

NEX 5N, overexposed by two stops and then pulled back by 3 stops

27mm, F4, 1/160th, ISO 800

55mm, F8, 1/100th, ISO 800

18mm, F3.5, 1/8th, ISO 200 (A little unsharp due to the shutter speed)

-- hide signature --

It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow