Help me decide Leica X1 or Fuji X100?

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
jpmac55
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me decide Leica X1 or Fuji X100?
In reply to Godfrey, Jan 8, 2012

Len - I owned a X1 before selling it to purchase a X100.

Nothing really wrong with the Leica except I pined for the viewfinder and something better in low light. I also thought the X100 had the better manual controls and frankly looked more like a Leica than the X1 did. I'd still opt for the X100 because of the view finder and low light performance but read on:

In practice, the X100 user interface is astonishing at times, the manual controls aren't worth bothering with and low light aside, not much difference in image quality but your results may vary. Both have focus issues although the X1 is mostly speed related whereas the X100 requires a hired guide at times. My X100 copy works okay but some still have focus issues while others have the sticky aperture blades issue you mentioned.

Neither are all that pocketable but Leica gets the nod here.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=leica_x1&products=fujifilm_x100--

Quirks asides, I suppose it all comes down to image quality for which both cameras are big time winners.

Btw, I also own a Ricoh GRD-IV and am very impressed with almost everything about the camera. So I wouldn't hesitate to suggest taking a look at the GXR that Godfrey suggested.

John

jpmac55's gear list:jpmac55's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow