Say it Isn't So!!!!

Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
stevielee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135
Like?
Re: I wonder
In reply to starwolfy, Jan 8, 2012

starwolfy wrote:

When I read your analysis, I think you should send your CV to Leica and propose to work for them as a Strategy consultant.

lol

Does lol have some special meaning to you? What is it supposed to be coveying. What am I missing with this cryptic shorthand verbiage? Is it a secret message about some kind of a emotion, or feeling, or spastic reaction?

Maybe most of the crowd are running after new bodies, with new features, new functionalities, new everything in one package...but I think Leica's core market is different. That is why it is a niche.

You mean....when you refer to "the crowd" who you assert: are "running after new bodies" -- the 99.9% of the rest of the photographic world -- outside of a tiny Leica "niche"?

Here is what a niche market is:

By definition a business that focuses on a niche market is addressing a need for a product or service that is not being addressed by mainstream providers.

Okay! So this could also refer to FujiFilms X100, and new X1 Pro as well. No one (not even Leica) is providing a state-of-the-art, high quality, compact camera, and also doing so at an AFFORDABLE, and reasonable price. It would seem to me that FujiFilm is filling this "need" better than any of the other "niche" , or "mainstream providers"

What adresses Leica that other systems do not?

• Best built bodies ever

Highly subjective assessment. Nikon's new D4 is built like a brinks truck. You can't any better "built" that than. Granted: it's not exactly a small camera, but extremely weel built it certainly is. This is also true of FujiFilm's X100 and upcoming X1 Pro. Built to last as long as any other "niche" camera out on the market right now - including a Red Dot Branded one.

• Native Leica M lenses to Leica M bodies coupling

The RD1 also has a Native M-Mount as well (the very first one yoto ever offer one in the digital age before Leica did. And whether it is native, or adaptive, being able to utilize an M-series Lens to a more advance and affordable camera is like having your cake and eating it to - as will probably be the case with the X1 Pro.

• Huge and bright OVF

But still without the more popular and functional option of an EVF that wouldn't have killed Leica to include as an "option" in their supposedly flagship 8K M9.

• High simplicity of use

• Huge amount and best quality lenses thx to more than 100 years of history

• Strong linearity of use and operability of their bodies (you use a M7 like you use a M9 and so on)

• Film camera like shooting style even with digital bodies

As the Fuki X100 has, but imperilment so much better than Leica's. And Fuji even included an internal 3-stop ND filter to boot.

• Really small, light, discreet and high quality system overall

Again, as is the X100, and new X1 Pro, except that they are both even smaller, lighter, and of a far better value-to-performance and features equation.

Sure, talking specs M bodies are not the best. But I think if one was running after Specs, he won't buy a Leica at all...but prefer a Canikon FF DSLR instead.

But didn't you just put up a technical "spec" list for the Leica above? Which it is? Either the "specs" of a cam don't matter, or they (in actuality) do?

Just have a look at this forum and the threads it contains. Leica users rarelly open thread to talk specs...cuz it is not what matters for them. They prefer to open thread to post pictures and talk about images. That is the reason people who post pictures here, even if it was not taken with a Leica body, are generally really welcomed.

And just look at this particular thread that will probably one of the very first to top the maximum 150 post limit in over a year and a half in these "Leica talk" forums. Seems like it just might have struck a very deep seeded cord with Leica owners and user and those of us that have greaty admired Leica from the film days and wish that they would get shake their overwrought stodgy "premium" act altogether and put out full "modern" featured, more reasonably priced camera bodies in the coming years. They'd continue to be able to sell ton's of their peerless optics at a hefty mark-up and still make boatloads of money, all the while offer a more reasonably priced camera body that would/could encourage more folks to buy a Leica instead of a Fuji, or whoever else might step into the breach to meet the demand for higher quality, AFFORDABLE compact cameras.

Only people like you come here and open thread to explain how bad Leica M bodies specs are comparing to other competitors. As you do not own a Leica body anymore, why worry? We are grown enough to decide by our own what to buy and continue the adventure with Leica or not.

And if you actually looked at the title of this forum: it is aptly and simply called Leica Talk , not Leica bodies fan talk, or Leicaphiles only talk, so you can give it a rest with trying to corner and control what this, or any other Forum on DPReview is supposed to "be about". I have probably invest in, and spent more overall $$$ in Leica branded equipment than you have , or will in your entire life. And if I use my criterion of $$$ spent on Leica equipment throught the years as a qualifier to whom exactly should be able to post here , you might just want to move onto another more lightweight forum of website for over-enthusiastic "premium" photographic wanna be's.

You don't like, or cozy up to my opinions, ot points of view? Fine! then move the heck on and let the rest of us have at it....

Regardless, be well, and keep on shooting - whatever tool you may end up using.

Starwolfy
------------
NX10 + legacy lenses on:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51235083@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow