Help me decide Leica X1 or Fuji X100?

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,624
Like?
Re: Help me decide Leica X1 or Fuji X100?
In reply to Len_Gee, Jan 8, 2012

Given the choice of the Leica X1 or Fuji X100 only, I'd take the Leica in a heartbeat. I tried to love the X100, but from the moment I picked it up it's control ergonomics and feel just turned me off.

Both cameras can make superb photographs. The X1 isn't the fastest operating camera in the world and you'll want the optical viewfinder to go with it, but to my hands it is the clear winner.

However, I bought the Ricoh GXR when the choice was up for me and I've been 100% delighted by it. Get it with either of the A12 50 or A12 28 camera units and it is a superb, fixed prime lens camera with quality on par with either the Leica or Fuji. Fit and optical viewfinder and be happy. If you have a yen for a compact zoom camera at some point, buy the S10 or P10 image-stabilized camera unit for the same body and controls to get short or ultra zoom, small sensor cameras. Add an EVF if you want an eye-level viewfinder. And if you have Leica M-bayonet lenses, buy the A12 Camera Mount to get the best performing Leica M-bayonet camera this side of an M8 or M9.

I would still love an X1 as I think it's a beautiful design in every way, but I'm delighted with the GXR and it is a far more versatile camera. The GXR has basically replaced my need for SLRs.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow