ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,578Gear list
Like?
Help me decide Leica X1 or Fuji X100?
Jan 8, 2012

Greetings,

Apologies for this question that has been asked many times before.

Looking at getting a new pocket sized cam for travel, family type pics, candid street photography with excellent IQ.

So, thinking of either the APS-C sensor Leica X1, and Fuji X100. Moderately wide angle fixed lens is fine. My first choice would be the Leica for the Elmarit lens but really dunno if the IQ quality is "Leica" standard.

It's been some time since looking at the Leica X1, and have not yet seen or handled the Fuji X100 but read rave online reviews for both. I recall the X1 had issues with slow focusing, and general QC ie. battery door not closing properly, pop up flash. Don't know about the problems with the Fuji 100, other than some issue with the shutter mechanism jamming up.

I usually shoot with Canon 5DMKII and 7D so that is my frame of reference regarding IQ and ISO noise. 75% RAW, 25% JPEG.

Because of the size and weight of the 5DMKII/&7D plus kit lens 24-105L, I don't use them much for trips by airline since getting MFT Panny GF-1/G2 with 20mm f1.7 lens.

Had thought of the NEX5N/7 but think for me , too large and not much of a quality lens selection at this time. Probably a subtle but not significant improvement over my MFT kit? Don't use manual focus lenses due to poor eyesight and need AF to focus.

For those who own either or/both Leica X1 Fuji X100, your comments requested regarding IQ, noise at ISO 400 and above, general handling, ability to set "hyperfocus" setting for quick snapshots, and any annoying quirks (that might be fixed in version II?) would be appreciated to help me decide on which camera is best for me.

Which camera has faster AF?

Best camera with low noise at high ISO's in good and low light?

Fuji X100 is a newer design with OVF/EVF viewfinder that X1 does not have. Is it really that useful? Leica X1 has the Elmarit lens plus can add the clip on OVF for faster handling(?)

I usually print my "keepers" up to 13"19" on home inkjet printer. Nik Sharpener Pro 3.0 to set output sharpness.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica X1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow