Say it Isn't So!!!!

Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,951
Like?
Re: poor action shots
In reply to petertan1959, Jan 8, 2012

Petertan, I added this image to show you how unnecessary autofocus is to freeze motion blur. For that matter, how image stabilization isn't needed either. I forgot to point out that this was shot on film at ASA400. There is no reason either the M8 or M9 couldn't have accomplished this shot, and without the grain.

By setting my focus beforehand, I was able to concentrate on the distance just before, and just after the jump-fence. Manual focus lenses with the Depth-of-Field markings makes this easy to do. I'm not sure about lenses for Nikon, but my Canon L-series prime lenses have only a rudimentary DoF marking system, and I doubt they could have given me the same amount of information that my rangefinder markings do.

This photograph, also shot on film, demonstrates more dramatically the importance of the DoF markings, and the benefit of framing with an optical viewfinder. Had I used a DSLR with the speediest autofocus system, I probably would have focused on the woman's face, but by doing so it is doubtful the man in the background would have been as sharp. I knew beforehand where the focus range lay, and had accounted for the woman being near the front-focus limit, and the man near the rear limit. The focus range had been pre-set long before this moment occurred, and I was confident in the focus range when I came upon this. That could not have been done without the lens' focus range information, and couldn't have been done with my Canon L lenses on my 5D. Had I auto-focused on the woman's face, I would have wasted one-third of the focal range in front of her, sacrificing some rear of her.

Had I used a DSLR for this shot, the time it would have taken to search for the proper composition would have been longer than the time taken with an optical viewfinder. I admit it is just fractions of a second, but in this case, that amount of time would have missed the shot. The ability to see outside of the framelines of a rangefinder is one of those things non-rangefinder users have difficulty grasping, and even owners of the system often don't realize the advantage. I believe however, that those who are passionate about the system seem to get it.

petertan1959 wrote:

wow another b/w......hmmmmmm

where is the color version????
probably very grainy???
to freeze your shot you had to use high iso? in daylight???

hence you converted to b/w to hide the grains?

hmmmmm

the more you shot pictures from your Leica the more you are nadding nails to the leica coffin.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow