Best buy Black tie protection program. Big disappointment.

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zoom7
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Best buy Black tie protection program. Big disappointment.
Jan 8, 2012

I purchased 4 years black tie protection program from Best Buy. I never had any issues from my camera except for the USB socket which got too loose from me moving the camera while the cord is plugged in during tethered shooting with my notebook. At the last month of my warranty program before it expired, I sent it out for geek squad repair on NOV 8 2011. They said they will fix it and it is covered under it's black tie accidental protection program. I specifically told them the camera is working fine and capable of taking good pictures except for the USB socket which is not reading at all. They told me it usually take 1 -2 weeks for repair.

After 2 weeks they told me it will be delayed for they are replacing the mirror assembly and it is coming from Japan. They gave me the Tsunami excuse that everything is delayed parts and backlog due to the earthquake. I asked why they are trying to replace the mirror when there's nothing wrong with it. He said that the USB board is connected to it.

Dec 12, 2011 My camera arrived I was so happy when they called. When I got theremy camera came wrapped in bubble wrap no box and when i opened it and tested it the USB still didn't work and is more loose now. So the geek squad guy got embarassed and said oooops i think they didn't fix it and replaced the wrong part. This was Raul. He specifically said to me that he will be right on top of this case and will make sure to send it back expedited. From this point on I made it a point to call best buy every 3-4 days to follow up on it and ask the status of my repair.

Well on Dec 22 I got a mail from Best buy that they are charging me 350$ for parts. I got so furious, but still remained calm and respectful to the geek squad. He told me that they can't do anything because the USB socket problem is not an accident related problem and black tie only covers accidental damage. So i asked for his supervisor and the supervisor reviewed my case and told me everything will be repaired without any cost from me.

Called back again Tuesday Jan 3 2012 Geek squad told me my camera is fixed and just awaiting for the tracking no. for shipment. I was again very happy not until today I called again and they said as of right now according to their computer the repair company is waiting for a part that they need to replace. This time i really requested that I speak to their top supervisor. It's been 2 mos counting and 12 escalation requests to expedite fixing my camera. I missed 2 holidays already without a DSLR. Luckily i am just a hobbyist and I don't depend on my camera for my livelihood.

Am I being demanding to them or is this a normal time frame for fixing a camera. I always bought extended warranty for my other electronics like PS3 and lcd TV's and never used it. Well I am just sharing my experience any tips or advice you guys can give me to get my camera back will highly be appreciated.

nzoom7

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow