Say it Isn't So!!!!

Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
VladimirV
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?
Re: It isn't so
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Jan 7, 2012

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

2011 was the most profitable year in Leica history, from what I know. At this point, they cannot fulfill global demand: there is a backlog on all Leica lenses except Summarit-M line. On some lenses it is as long as nine months. The situation with S-system is pretty much the same.

This is mostly due to the increased demand for their lenses thanks to affordable cameras which can mount them, the m4/3, NEX, GXR cameras are all respoonsible for this.

I agree that rebadging Panasonic cameras (even though Leica participation in R&D of these particular cameras is very significant) dilutes the value of the brand, but this is not my, or yours, decision to make. There is some logic to it, although I am not buying into it.

I think here we both agree on this.

Because at f/1, 1/15, ISO1250 I can shoot a properly exposed picture lit by a candle from ten fit away. Most situations that I encounter are brighter than that.

This is indeed not a problem but for me 1.15th is tricky since I shoot people in low light and there it get's difficult to freeze the action even at ISO 3200.

AF speed and precision is directly related to amount of light passed through the lens. So as brightness of a viewfinder. Therefore, focusing at the working aperture compromises AF performance and makes framing difficult in low light. This is precisely the reason why all modern SLR cameras focus wide open and trip aperture blades right before the exposure. Same thing with mirrorless cameras that have TTL focusing.

You are right that most AF lenses open up the aperture for focusing but on a mirrorless camera you can shoot ant any aperture you like if you use a manual lens.

I tried out NEX-5n with 1.4/35. In low light, electronic focusing was possible only by means of using specular highlights as focus points. However, it was the inability to stabilize the camera by pressing it against my eye, and the viewfinder giving me away by illuminating my face what I disliked the most.

Once you use an EVF it won't give you away and the high pass focus assist mode on the GXR will make focusing in complete darkness a breeze where you can't see anything through the RF to align the lines in the patch.

Epson RD-1 was an awesome toy indeed. Don't forget, however, it had a 6mpix APS-C sensor. At the time when it came out, 6mpix could to be used for any professional work except reportage (provided you don't crop anything). M8, on the other hand, despite its notorious IR sensitivity, was a professional camera, which I used for more than three years.

It might have been 6MP only but it had a very good image quality and better high ISO than the M8. I would say the Rd1 had less compromises than the M8.

I tested Fuji X100 in June. The dual viewfinder is indeed impressive, but AF was anemic. Body design is lovely, but the lens delivered much less than I had expected. After using it for three days, I had an impression that Leica and Fuji should have developed X1/X100 hybrid jointly, leaving optical and mechanical parts to Leica and electronics to Fuji. Even then, without an optical rangefinder it would be something that I would be interested in spending my money on.

The X100 has the looks and the hybrid viewfinder but unfortunately the controls and firmware leave a lot to be desired and frustrate more than it's worth it. The AF speed is almost the least of it's problems.

What you don't understand is something that Jono tried to explain before: seeing the world the way it is, not the way your lens sees it is the fundamental idea of rangefinder design, which immensely influences the way that image is approached and taken. It is not necessarily superior to TTL approach, but somehow I like look of pictures that I took with Leica M better than with any TTL, or SLR camera, even S2.

You can see the world any way you like but in the end the sensor captures what your lens sees so it helps if you have at least an idea of what that might be.

The look of your pictures has a lot to do with the lens so it's not surprising you like the Leica pictures better since you most likely used much better lenses on it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow