Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mek42
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
D2Hs lens choice - fast prime vs. f2.8 zoom
Jan 8, 2012

I posted elsewhere that my first DSLR will be a D2Hs. I'll be starting with a VR 18 - 55 mm zoom to fit in the current budget. I've been reading and thinking about what I might want for future lenses.

For me, arguably the most important immediate use of the camera will be baby snapshots, as my wife has been making do with iPod and cell phone pics since our P&S died. Many of these snapshots will be taken indoors, so a faster lens would be indicated. However, I will be capturing images on a 4 MP sensor, so composition will also be critical.

I'm wondering if I might be better served with an f2.8 in the 28-80 mm range over a 1.8 prime. The zoom will give me quick composition choice within the confines of being indoors. Not sure if I'll need the extra light though.

Maybe what I should do is intentionally underzoom sometimes with the 18 - 55 and see how the resulting crop impacts my use of the images. If there is no impact, then maybe a 35 mm fast prime (or even wider) would be indicated.

Is there anything else I can do or think about to help decide which lens choice to consider if I find the 18 - 55 a bit on the slow side?

Nikon D2Hs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow