Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Narcosynthesis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,485
Like?
Help with an older Tamron 200-400mm f5.6
Jan 7, 2012

A while back I inherited an older Tamron 200-400mm f5.6 in Canon EF mount, which while working perfectly on my 400d I was never getting reliably sharp photos - even under ideal conditions there was still some softness to them that never quite reached the quality I expected.

More recently I have gotten a Panasonic GF2 micro four thirds camera, and picked up an EF mount adapter to have some fun with the Canon glass I already own, so figured I would give the Tamron a chance and see what results I could get with what is effectively an 800mm f5.6 lens.

Again the problem of softness has reared its head, but a combination of manual focus, live view and a highly magnified image seems to have given me a possible cause - the lenses travel doesn't seem to completely reach infinite focus... By that I mean I can see the focus getting closer to correct as I get closer to the infinite mark on the zoom ring, but just slightly before the point it reaches perfect I run out of travel...

Shift to a closer target and I can get my expected level of sharpness, so it isn't the glass that is at fault, but somehow the focus system that doesn't seem to let me reach infinite.

Is there a fix for this? I would love to be able to put the lens to some use, but previous inquiries to Tamron (before I figured out what exactly seems to be happening) had them pretty much telling me because of its age, they don't want to deal with it. I am not too bothered about the thought of losing some of the closer focussing range (for which I have many other more appropriate lenses) but would love to get that extra step to infinite.

Any thoughts/fixes/ideas?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/narcosynthesis
http://www.illaname.deviantart.com

Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow