Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GdH001
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Another "which lenses for safari" thread
Jan 7, 2012

Yes... this is another question to determine which lenses to take with me on safari :-). I've read most of the other threads, but any additional help is appreciated.

I will be traveling as the only photographer in a party of two on a private safari where we will visit Kenya (Meru/Samburu) and Tanzania (Tarangire/Ngorongoro/Serengeti-Ndutu). Except in Meru we will have the car all to ourselves so space for my equipment should be no problem.

Since we will be flying a number of times between destinations weight will be somewhat of an issue, the allowance is 15kg per person. But with two persons this should be feasible.

I will be taking at least two camera bodies - my 7D and 30D (or a 5DII as a rental). But I'm still undecided which lenses to take. I own a 10-22 and a 24-105. So one of these will go, if I decide to rent the 5D then it will probably be the 24-105.

The choice I still have to make is between renting a 500/4 or 400/2.8 II (plus possibly the 1.4 III). And buying/renting a 100-400 or 70-200/2.8 II.

So far I'm leaning towards buying the 100-400 and renting the 500/4 and 5Dmk2.

Any thought on this?

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow