Help! calibration, color profiles, soft proofing, etc.

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jwvgoethe
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Help! calibration, color profiles, soft proofing, etc.
Jan 7, 2012

I just ordered a Canon 9000 MK II and am using a 2011 iMac 27." I've bought lightroom and aperture, but I am still confused on the whole process of color management. This seems to be the primary reason that one would do their own prints(to have them come out the way they like).

First question is are there any recommendations for a hardware calibration system that works well with the notoriously difficult to calibrate iMac screens?

Second, I'm a bit confused on the color management workflow. I see you download ICC profiles for your printer and the paper that you use and set them when you print, leaving automatic color correction off on the printer. When you soft proof with these profiles, the image changes dramatically from the standard. Is it necessary to modify the image with the soft proofing to how you like it? create a virtual copy and soft proof that until happy? This is the part I am most confused about.

Third, I usually shoot RAW. Is there a recommended color space to use for print? e.g., srgb, adobe rgb, pro photo...? How do you enable this in Lightroom? I can probably figure this out on my own, but if anyone has a quick tip to help my confusion, please share.

Last point, is it necessary to calibrate the printer as well as the monitor? Seems reasonable as there would be small variations in printers due to the manufacturing process just like monitors.

Very very grateful for any helpful responses.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow