Sigma 120-400mm and Sigma 150-500mm for 60D

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lehik
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Sigma 120-400mm and Sigma 150-500mm for 60D
In reply to vlab, Jan 7, 2012

Yes the maximum aperture is definately the factor that affects AF performance the most. Actually I've read somewhere that with Canon crop sensor bodies the AF shouldn't even work if the lens reports smaller aperture than f5.6, but the lens can "fake" it's max aperture to the AF unit so that it appears as f5.6. Earlier I had a cheap Sigma 28-300 and while it was definately f6.3 at tele end, the camera reported it as f5.6 (even the EXIF was telling that it was f5.6). With the 150-500 the camera reports it as f6.3, but the AF still works.

Also, I forgot to mention that while the quality is ok at 500mm/f6.3, it gets much better if stopped down a bit to f7.1 or f8. That requires a lot of light though.

My friend has the 120-400 that he uses with 550D. I haven't tried it on 60D but I might give a try some day.

As I said before, the fact why I ended up with 150-500mm was the value, or the quality it offered for the price. If I was buying an telephoto lens today, I wouldn't be that sure what lens I would pick up. The old Canon 400mm f5.6L has much faster AF and it would be perfect for BIF but it isn't that versatile and lacks IS. Also, newer batches of 100-400L are said to be quite close to the quality of the prime, but the AF is tad slower. Both of them are bit more expensive also, as is the rather new Sigma 50-500mm OS. Would be a hard choice to make. Then again, if you want bigger aperture, the price climbs up pretty fast, as you might know already.

vlab wrote:

Thanks Lehik,

Sigma 150-500 at max zoom will have biggest appeture at f/6.3 and with 60D at apeture

Did you have any experiece with sigma 120-400?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow