Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
AnthonyL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703Gear list
Like?
Re: Is my new 50mm 1.4 soft?
In reply to van Ark, Jan 7, 2012

van Ark wrote:

Autofocus - and cant use liveview, as my 5D Doesnt have it

Missed that - presumably you are using centre focus point?

But sounds like everybody agrees, that this is just how sharp the 50 1.4 canon EF lens is wide open. I really remembered it as stunning.. I does however make sense, that the angle theese shots are taken in, are making it hard to judge focus, but my own tests did show that this lens doesnt front/back focus, so the question really is: Is this how the 50mm f/1.4 Canon performs wide open or can it do better?

I'm not an expert but not only the angle makes things complicated, but also using a curved surface. It is hard to know exactly what the focus point (it's not a point its an area) will pick up. Certainly on the 450d the zone in which focus is determined to have been found is relatively large. And then just about every part of the image is not in the focal plane. Why not simply use the standard focus chart at http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf for reference?

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow