Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lehik
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Sigma 120-400mm and Sigma 150-500mm for 60D
In reply to vlab, Jan 7, 2012

vlab wrote:

...Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM

I have the 60D and lens mentioned above. When I was looking for a longish tele lens I compared Sigma 150-500mm and Canon 100-400mm L side by side (I had 350D back then and I tested the lenses with following test setup: tripod, timed release, mirror lock up and ISO100). Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to test the AF with moving targets. IQ-wise I was surprised how close the Sigma was to the Canon lens and couldn't justify the price difference, which was almost double back then.

When talking about the IQ, the lenses were quite equal in terms of sharpness. Canon had more vivid colours and Sigma had more contrast. Ever since I've been wondering if the Sigma I bought is a "jewel" (considering the reputation of Sigma's QC few years back...) or if the Canon was somewhat defective, as I've read some excellent reviews of it. Also, it may have been a body/lens calibration issue and the Canon may have performed better had it been properly calibrated for the body (do a Google search for "lens is soft and other myths" for more information on variation with different body/lens combinations).

While I'm pretty satisfied with the lens (especially what it has given for the price) it does have some drawbacks. AF is not that fast and it hunts quite a bit in less contrasty situations. Nevertheless I've taken some quite nice BIF's with the Sigma. Image stabilazer is not on par with Canon system, although I've heard that newer Sigma lenses like the 120-300 OS has much improved version of OS. Also, many people say that the Sigma 150-500 gets a lot softer when going beyond 400mm. I'd say it does get worse, but not too noticeably.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow