Why are HDRs and other PP work frowned upon?

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
Why are HDRs and other PP work frowned upon?
Jan 6, 2012

I probably posted this in the wrong forums (M43, since I have a GF2). Maybe this one is a bit more appropriate.

A brief summary about me... Prior to early Dec, the cameras I've used were all point and shoots. I've used photoshop for about 5 years now for drawing and comical effects in my point and shoot pics. However, I never got into photography as far as technicalities and terminology goes. For instance, if you were to ask me about aperture a couple of months ago, I'd tell you that it was just an expensive alternative to iPhoto; I know Mac stuff, I didn't realize the Aperture app was named after something photo related, lol. Anyways, now that I have a camera with more manual options and no longer using auto like its the answer for everything (got a GF2 for xmas), I've really been researching a lot concerning photography.

With my history using photoshop, I've naturally taken advantage of my knowledge and use it to enhance my pictures. I've quickly learned though, that a lot of post-process work and HDRs are frowned upon, but I can't figure out why. HDRs, to me anyways, are digital forms of what filters do but more configurable. The true difference being that if you use a filter, it seems like it gets more respect and applaud from the photography community than if you were to apply these filters digitally after you've taken the picture, which is frowned upon by the same community.

Also, I realize that in the following picture, I could have had less blur in some of the leaves by not using such a long exposure, but by combing the three different exposures I used I was able to sort of exaggerate a lot of details that just one exposure wouldn't be capable of capturing. Anyways, what are your opinions as far as this picture goes, in an artistic PoV or just a general photographer's Pov? And was the PP work overdone and unnecessary?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow