Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,029Gear list
Like?
Re: It isn't so
In reply to VladimirV, Jan 6, 2012

VladimirV wrote:

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

Leica M cameras are not for the majority of people either. It is for people who find its ergonomics fitting their shooting style and who know how to make the most of what rangefinder design can offer.

I agree with this statement but this still allows for people to question Leica's philosophy and products every now and then.

and you are certainly free to do so.

As for the S2, I wouldn't call it uninteresting for the majority of people. It is interesting indeed, however, there are reason why this interest cannot be satisfied, or justified by the majority that you mentioned.

True, it is interesting but it's priced at a point where it becomes irrelevant and this is a shame.

it is priced fully in accordance with laws of economics. any company is entitled to making the maximum amount of legitimate profit. leica prices may seem unreasonable to you, but as long as there is demand, there is no reason for leica to subsidize desires of those who cannot afford what they want.

The importance of RF is in its performance in low light. So far there is no electronic system that can come even close to the coincidental rangefinder in conditions like f/1.4, 1/15 sec, ISO1000.

You should really give the NEX or GXR systems a try in low light as they might surprise you with their ability to focus in low light and will also provide way superior high ISO so you don't need to stop at ISO 1000 but can go above that.

I did. I am a professional photographer. Staying current with technology is a part of my job. As to your ISO remark, I was referring to quantity of light, not to properties of a camera. With Leica I rarely have to go above ISO1250 because there is no need.

... for example, a problem of incorrect DOF with through-the-lens focusing?

There is no incorrect DOF at all, mirrorless cameras show you the exact DOF and you can focus using an accurate view and DOF for each individual lens.

Are you sure that electronically driven lenses focus at a working aperture, on wide open?

Now, about accuracy of framing. First of all, see above. Secondly, do you know that most SLRs do not provide a 100% frame view?

I don't care about dSLRs, all mirrorless, like the NEX or GXR, provide 100% accurate framing, DOF view, focusing and histogram. This for me is the future and something Leica needs to adopt, Fuji has shown that it is possible with the X100. Rehasing the same old outdated RF is not the way forward, enhancing it with modern technology however is.

Fuji has shown that it is possible at the expense of the optical rangefinder. The company, which merges the two, wins.

Give me a small full-frame camera with manual controls, capable of fast and precise low-light focusing and handheld exposures on slow shutter speeds, and I will buy it. Oh, almost forgot: film-like grain please.

Aside from FF the GXR and Sony NEX-5n already do the job now and better than a Leica, give it another few months to one year and you have FF.

I still am at loss with respect to in what they are better. Believe me, I am not stubborn. I am practical. I've shot with pretty much all professional systems in existence and doing so for more than twenty years, I came to what works the best for me. Do you think I spend money on Leica because I have no other needs and temptations?

-- hide signature --
 Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow